We believe that transparency is the antidote to hipocrisy and a result of great courage. At ASH, a small business just like our clients’, transparency and courage helps us stay honest with one another. We make space for courage because courage is the ability to do the right thing, all the time, no matter how painful, unpopular, or uncomfortable it might be. Only we have the ability to hold each other accountable right from the start. If something happens and we are made aware, we have a duty to investigate all matters in a manner which respects all individuals, with a responsibility to find the truth.
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom … KNOW Better, DO Better.
Do The Right Thing
The first step to preventing harrassment and misconduct is self-regulation. In our dance work, our job is to observe ourselves physically in order to improve. We have the same responsibility to observe and evaluate our behavior toward one another in order to improve. Several key questions can help identify situations that may be unethical, inappropriate or illegal. Ask yourself:
- Does what I am doing comply with the ASH guiding principles, professional standards, and company policies?
- Have I been asked to misrepresent information or deviate from normal procedure?
- Would I feel comfortable describing my decision at a staff meeting or to a co-worker or client?
- How would it look if it made the headlines?
- Am I showing respect to my family, my company and myself?
- What would I tell my child to do?
- Is this the right thing to do?
If you feel that you have been harassed or discriminated against, you should immediately report the matter to your direct manager. If that person is not available, or if you feel it would be unproductive to inform that person for any reason, you should immediately fill out the Request Form online, either anonymously or by naming yourself, and selecting “Human Resources” This form is available to all employees and 1099 contractors at any time online and can be made available in many other forms for those with different needs or abilities. Reports can also be made directly to the Director of Operations. Once the matter has been reported it will be promptly investigated and any necessary corrective action will be taken where appropriate. All complaints of unlawful harassment will be handled in as discreet and confidential a manner as possible.
What Happens When Misconduct Has Been Reported To ASH?
ASH Productions is committed to holding all employees and contractors responsible for the policies set forth and in any other policy document issued by ASH, while providing assurance that no disciplinary action will be taken until a thorough, fair, and objective investigation of the facts has been completed. In the interest of promoting a work environment that holds each employee and contractor accountable for their actions, set forth below is the method of discipline should any employee or contractor be accused of misconduct.
Misconduct, Investigation, and Discipline
Misconduct occurs when behavior violates the policies, professional standards, and ethical behavior guidelines outlined in this policy.
- Should a complaint be made to ASH Productions, ASH will conduct a prompt, thorough, fair, and impartial investigation. No parties involved will participate in the investigative process except for providing their own statement or documentation. All parties, including witnesses, shall remain anonymous to all other parties involved to the extent possible. If a significant risk to health and safety exists, such as sexual assault, violence, or threat of violence, an individual may be subject to immediate suspension, discharge, or contract termination prior to the completion of an investigation.
- All named parties and witnesses will be interviewed by the Director of Operations (“DOO”) and/or the Director. Their written statements or documentation will be solicited and accepted by ASH as evidence. To allow for an efficient investigation, the DOO or Director may interview the parties is any order necessary. No significance should be placed on the order in which individuals are interviewed.
- The DOO and Director will maintain accurate records and tracking of interviews and other investigative actions.
- ASH will maintain the confidentiality of the investigation and its results to the greatest extent possible.
- At the conclusion of the internal investigation, ASH may consult with outside counsel to interpret the findings of the investigation and to make an informed decision about resolving the complaint.
- Once said necessary actions have been determined and as quickly as is practically possible, ASH will notify the complainant and the accused of the findings of the investigation and its intended actions, including any appropriate remedial actions.
- If ASH determines that harassment has occurred, the accused will face disciplinary action up to and including termination or termination of contract or permanent debarment. ASH reserves the right to extend further its disciplinary actions which may include permanent banning from all ASH functions or events.